Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Pursuit to Life, Liberty... and Safety?

OK, well... I really ought to be cleaning, packing etc right now.  We're relocating back to SHS territory, asap. 

I just kept getting more and more fed up with our apartment folks, and decided I didn't want to be here anymore. I told them I didn't feel safe after my car got broken into... the window bashed out and everything. They were really decent about it (once I took it up the chain of command to the regional manager and their corporate office). So we're getting out of our lease -- and had made the decision to move back to East Millcreek in the basement apt of my grandma's house (my little sister Cicely, her husband and nephew live in the upstairs of her house)... we said we'd be out by Jan 31.

Anyway, we decided over the weekend it was the best idea -- more room, 1/3 the cost for rent which gives us more money to put into a house whenever we finally decide to buy, and a safer neighborhood... although I will admit, it's not like it's the hood.  All the cars parked outside on the street are fine; so someone's got it in for the "secured" parking lot at Park Capitol apartments. 

So the plot thickens as three more cars got broken into last night in our parking garage... so it kind of solidified we needed to be out of here sooner than later (read: tonight).

It's so sad because we have LOVEd being downtown -- there's so much to do, it's so easy to navigate... we love public transportation and being able to walk so many places. We live a block from the temple, you know? 

It's beautiful downtown.  
It's hip downtown. 
It's delicious downtown... but I don't feel safe. 

And so we're moving back to suburbia... we'll be less than 8 blocks from each of our parents. I'm glad we had at least a year to be somewhat removed ... I'm excited about being close to family, but I do think it's good we got a little bit space in the early moments of our marriage. 

I'm sorry this post is so melancholy... I'm just in a sad reflective place... perhaps I ought to put that energy into packing boxes and getting us moved out. 

See you in suburbia all... "safety first" I guess. 

Sabrena

3 comments:

Melissa: said...

Best of luck to you! Sam and I have that same conversation every day.

(We're not downtown, but we're close...)

katie said...

Plus, the McBrides are downtown. And you'll miss us most of all, right?

WIKKY said...

Nothing better than having family nearby!!! Hey.. I think that one of your sister's is in a running group with my sister, Chelle! Pretty amazing that they run that much. She is training for the SL maration (again). I can brag about my sista, right?