Tuesday, January 13, 2009

10 (days) or So to Go

Well Holden, we’re approaching the home stretch. This being the 13 day of January in the Year of our Lord two-thousand-and-nine; means that you are “due” in 10 days. Pssst, I don’t think you’re coming on that date; but I’m not sure if you got the memo from Daddy that he wants you here Friday. I say there is plenty to do still before you arrive and I am fine with you staying a bit longer, but not a day past 41 weeks (that would seriously foil our whole “no induction” thing and the church ladies have planned a lovely shower on Saturday for us, so it would be nice if we could both be there -- cool?)

Ok, so some thoughts for you, little one.

I cry more often than you have hiccups. I know at this point, most women are complaining about using the restroom too much; but I think my body gets rid of most of its moisture through my tear ducts. Seriously, everything makes me cry: seeing your ultrasound photos, presents we’ve got at showers, thinking about how your father’s and my life is going to change once you join us…. The fact that I’m impatient… the idea that we are going to be responsible for you…

Here’s a couple of really cool stuff that has been given to you this week:
  • Grandma Beth, who passed away about 10 years ago, had knit booties for you before she passed away. She gave them to my mom to pass onto us when the time came. Needless to say, when I opened them “NIAGRA FALLS!” 
  • Today, Grandma Stevie gave us your Daddy’s Baby books as well as some amazing clothes that your Daddy wore when he was a little one. My favorite was the outfit you wore on your blessing day – I think it will be perfect to wear on your blessing day as well. 

I also appreciated the t-shirt from Great Aunt Mary that said “Lock Up Your Daughters.” ☺

We’ve got a pack and play for you to sleep close to us, your car seat and stroller, and Daddy’s putting together the crib this week. (He even surprised me with a new piece of furniture to store your clothes and things in tonight. I couldn’t understand why he kept telling me NOT to stain/sand the entertainment center… but I just kept thinking, “We need a place for all of Holden’s stuff!”)

We’ve got diapers (a variety of disposable and some gDiapers) and clothes and receiving blankets and humidifier and things for you to cuddle with and a chair to rock you and if there’s anything else you need, I’m confident we’ll have you covered.

But most importantly, we are anxiously awaiting your arrival. We already love you so much. Thank you for the blessing you already are… come soon, or when you feel like it in the next 17 days... but not a day later. 

Love,
Us

4 comments:

Aimee said...

I am still crossing my fingers for the 29th. I want to win When Will Holden Get Here!

I am feeling good about my guess!

Good luck on this last leg. I'm thinking about you.

naptime nostalgia said...

Okay, one more thing that I definetly think you need to do before Holden comes, although it does sound like you are mostly ready;

Nursing bras. Trust me on this one, your Hubby will be less than thrilled when you send him to lactation station by himself. In fact it might be the true test of love.

When you are there get some really comfy (i.e. no underwire--at least for a while--till you are up and running so to say) nursing bras that you can open --here is the important part-- one handed.

Be sure to get at least one or two sizes bigger than you are now--yep you better believe it Suite. They are expensive if you get the good ones, but trust me, this is a type of support you CAN NOT live without.

Later on, after I had mastered nursing--which now I realize I have no idea if you plan on doing this. If not--disregard this comment--they have really nice underwire ones which don't make you feel quite so matronly and lift up the girls a bit, but at first you need some really comfy cotton-non-underwire ones.

I am just now realizing that this might be too much information for a blog comment, and perhaps I should have e-mailed you. Either way--just get the bras. Please. Trust me. You will thank me later. Or rather, Danny will.






Oh, and since I'm handing out my most holy of holy advice. Do you have a sound machine? Cause trust me, you are gonna want that kid to sleep. And a sound machine (we got ours at Tarjay) mimicks the womb--white noise--and so they just slumber away all swaddled up (this is key sister. Tight, like spandex--he will love it) like their still in your womb. Plus--you won't feel like you need to lay there completely still while they sleep. Although really you will WANT to but probably shouldn't.

Okay, this is enough. I've got lots more advice, but really, at this point in the ball game I wasn't really listening to the advice given. I was just wanting the watermellon out of my belly.

When the baby was out and not sleeping? Then I'd wished I'd have listened to all those old ladies at the grocery store giving me thier sleeping tips.

Lisanne said...

Wish you the best!
Lisanne

Cicely said...

Holden-

Today I was watching Jeopardy and one of the answers was "Catcher in the Rye" (which my mom totally knew) and I totally thought of you and let out a coo for my Mom to hear.

I can't wait to have you join me on earth. I miss you.

Love, Faye.