Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Cirque du Snip-snip

Bless my son's heart. Today he got the snip-snip and a "clip." But before I launch into my tirade about circumcision, I thought you might enjoy this video of Holden rolling over. You can hear his 5 year old niece and Aunt Cassandra cheering him on (ok, it may sound more like yelling). But at only 3 weeks old... I think it's pretty darn impressive. Mostly the kid just HATES "Tummy Time."



Tatum getting ready to cheer on her cousin -- before he starts freaking out!

Because of the glucose challenges and the resulting body temperature drop that plagued our little guy at the hospital, the pediatrician decided against circumcision at St. Marks. I was (not so) secretly thrilled. Great! I thought. We've bought ourselves more time. . .


I gave Danny two specific jobs with our little guy (among other things). But I had decided to hand over the reigns (of whether to cut or not to cut) to him -- after all, he's got the male parts and I obviously don't. The second decision? Holden's middle name.

Here our handsome guy is sporting H&M Couture compliments of Erin Allen (and his buddy Jonah.)

So he got to make the decisions, but it didn't mean I wasn't going to share my opinions... (as most of you know, I usually don't have strong feelings one way or another...) ;)


Those are tears resulting from either the human rights injustices or a clogged tear duct (you decide?)

We chose the first name and last name together... though I don't think he'd even entertain a hyphenated surname for our guy.

So back to the snip-ship: Sure it helps protect against the spread of HIV... but you know what else does? Monogamy! Besides, it's losing popularity -- especially in the west.


please note the position of his arms...

My main request was that he make an INFORMED decision when it came to our child's precious body parts...after all, I reasoned -- even Joseph Smith revealed that circumcision is no longer necessary...

For those of you wondering if we made the jump to the brave new world of cloth diapers... yes. We're doing a hybrid of cloth, gDiapers AND disposable -- my favorites are the 7th Generation variety though... less impact on the environment than any other disposable brand we've found and seem to be the same price...




Besides, we have a perfect little angel!

But ultimately, the adage "I want him to look like me"won out...and so it is. And even though I am ranting and raving and I am making Danny change his pants for the duration of the time that Holden's "junk" is healing... because it makes me cry every time I look at it...well, I'm sure my husband made the right choice. Because Danny would never hurt Holden on purpose... he's trying to save him from teenage hell... and I get that.

So in the end: I like giving people the option to make decisions -- but mostly when they agree with me though. :)

And in the interest of full disclosure, we also had the doc clip his tongue today... I would've postponed that one a lot longer but the doc said since we were already putting him through the (well, whatever it was we were putting him through) we might as well do it. I'm hoping we made the right decision...

I didn't get mine fixed until I was 7 or something... and I was "Sabweena" up until that point and in speech therapy... not saying your R's, S's and TH's is kind of adorable when you're a girl... but I don;t think you get afforded that luxury as a guy...

11 comments:

Melanie said...

I hope to make you feel better about it. When I was making the decision...we also did it later...I talked to the pediatrician. She told me that she had 5 year old twins come in for the snip and she told the mom to get anything they wanted to make them happy and comfy. She was worried about the pain that would cause a little boy. She said 2 hours after the snip they were out playing basketball and said it didn't bother then at all. Since she has learned that we worry about it more than they even notice. Made me feel better :) Adam also made the decision.

Thrillsons said...

Found the blog and love it. Congrats on Holden and all the fun that comes with that. I actually watched them circumcise Weston and it was 8,000 times easier than I thought it would be. He now has a gold medal wiener.

Hope things are going well

Eric and Chelsey

naptime nostalgia said...

I will never forget the day at the hospital when they took Thing 1 away to get him snipped. I cried, and cried, and cried. I didn't get why we had to hurt him intentionally. Still don't. But like you, decided it was Hubs' choice. Still makes me weepy to think about that day. Turning over my perfect little baby boy. Although, all the crying could have had something to do with the fact that I was 4 days post-op c-section. Oh my goodness the hormones! Lovely little suckers.

Jeff watched the whole thing though, and he said he didn't even cry. I don't know if thats the truth, or just what he told me so I would stop crying. Either way, it worked.

Love all the pics. Hope all is going well. And Holden is adorable.

Staci said...

oh he is so sweet..I'm envious of you! I love the diapers "going green" it reminds me..on "SNL" the other night they had a "Chewable" diaper commercial. It's an edible diaper so it's good for the environment and your nutrition..it's totally gross and hilarious! Your doing such a good job. What a cool mom!

Anonymous said...

"So he looks like me" is not a legitimate reason to cut parts off a child. Letting the father decide because "he has the male parts" is factually incorrect if he is circumcised, because he does not have the part at issue. If he had it, he'd know why it should not be cut off. Not only does he not know what he is missing, he is likely to circumcise his son to prove he didn't lose anything important, or to avoid facing that he did.

It is a mom's job to protect he son against this, and ensure her son can decide for himself.

Cicely said...

You made the wrong decision. About using the word "junk" to label your sons specials. What did you think I was talking about?

I can't believe he is rolling over. What year are you planning on him entering the Ironman contest?

Cicely said...

ps. Who is the nut job that commented before me?

I must have been wrong, but I always thought it was okay for parents to make decisions based on what they believe is best for their child. I guess it's back to letting Miles run around with sharp knifes again.

It's awesome that they are trying to make you feel bad for it though.

Spencer Davis said...

Circumcision all the way!!! I'm with Cicely on this one. Whats the deal with the freak from a few posts before. As if there aren't a million better causes that someone could spend their time crusading for.

Emily said...

I haven't told you yet congratulations..Mr. Holden is very cute, and I have seen a lot of newborns in my day and believe me they aren't all cute.

From a nurse perspective and from one who has helped circ many a babe and talked to many pediatricians, I think circumcision is good. It comes down to the fact that it is a more maintenance free penis, which I think is a good thing.

I am with Cicely, who is the crazy that commented before her?

I hope to meet Holden sometime soon. Loves..

Lisanne said...

Rolling over already! You are raising a genius :)
Lisanne

Meesh said...

How come you get such nut jobs posting on your blog?! Jonathan's healed up great and I have to say, since it is what I am used to, I think it looks great. But I totally respect people who don't do it and feel that is the right decision for them. This was the right decision for us!