Monday, May 25, 2009

It's not easy being Green


In fact, it's so hard that I have yet to meet someone who does it perfectly (except for that Thoreau guy, and it's not like we're on a close personal basis).

The ladies at my Wed "post-natal yoga" class all seem to be in varying degrees of green living (or pseudo hippie-dom). They talk about when they' ve moved the tabs on their bum-genius cloth diapers (um, yeah Holden did that a bit ago) and one lady's even EC-ing her child. (Holden and I tried this yesterday, it was awesome...he just pee'd on a towel at the pool.)

I was shopping at the grocery store the other day and looked down to discover a hogepodge of green products (and my canvas shopping bags, of course!) juxtaposed with those that were, um...not so green. So I'm thinking, Man, I am such a fake. I am like a 'convenient green'... I guess you could say if we're measuring social and eco consciousness on a color scale, I'm more of like a light-green... hmm, chartreuse if you will. But "chartruse" doesn't have quite the same stage appeal (or environmental impact for the good), now does it?


And wouldn't you know, in my search for more info about the woes of chlorine bleach (apparently dioxin is the kicker people - keep that stuff away from your babes!) after watching that crazy Clorox commercial where the mom's washing her kids sippy cups, bottles, toys etc in the stuff (Mama does not have the Magic of Clorox)...anyway, I came across this. It's a green-mommy from Canada (Darth Spencer - insert your favorite *Canuck joke...)

The article is worth a read; but in short, she talks about the contradictions in her life with living green over the stove as she's mixing up some Kraft mac and cheese with... (drum roll)... organic milk. And I thought, yes... this is my life. In a brilliant yet ever-so-tacky shade of altruistic chartreuse.



*Let the record show that I heart Canada. And we were ready to move there (or France) if last year's election results equated to the Bush Administration Part III:

8 comments:

Spencer Davis said...

I can't believe you hate America so bad that you would move to Canada. Why not stay here in the good ole US of A where its safe and OK for us to drink chemically enhanced milk and use shampoos that we know work because they have been tested on animals.

Melissa: said...

Sabrena, are you the perfect mother? The perfect mormon? The perfect yogi?

We live and we do our best, you are not a hypocrite for trying. My mother always reminds me when I get hard on myself (for not living up to my "minimalist" ideal), that Thoreau spent all of three months at Walden before returning back to city life. Even he battled with his ideologies and he certainly didn't live up to them all the time. That's life.

He's a great example that you don't have to be perfect to make a difference in the world.

I think you are a great example and doing a great job!

I also think you make really cute babies. What a handsome boy! :)

Erin said...

I'm totally "chartreuse" myself. You are such a kindred spirit!

Meesh said...

I don't even try to be green so you go girl. I buy disposable diapers and I am not gonna even try to do the other, You are impressive for trying. Go green for me! Plus can I just say, Holden is sooooo cute!

Alicia said...

It always makes me feel smarter to read your posts because they are so educational, especially with your links. I am still never even trying to EC Zach though...that is just too weird for me. He's a Pampers Swaddlers baby all the way.

tyler said...

Lawrence Welk came to me in a dream last night and told me to stop farting in my sleep.

katie said...

Unfortunately I am unable to edit Tyler's comments. I take no responsibility for him. But I did think of you when I saw this http://www.hulu.com/watch/55587/saturday-night-live-pampers. Miss you!

Kourtney said...

Hi Sabrena! I like reading your blog.

I wouldn't give Thoreau too much credit-- he wasn't even fully green himself, with all the times he slipped away for a home-cooked mama meal. We all have our limits. I think balance is key in all things. Even Michael Pollan enjoys the occasional bowl of Fruity Pebbles (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/227618/may-13-2009/michael-pollan).