Saturday, March 26, 2011

My Fruitneral: Day 6 of the Raw Vegan Week Challenge


You'd think I'm pregnant with the odd dreams I've been having about raw food (I'm not, I assure you. Though I'd kind of like to be actually.) Ugh! Two more days.... chant with me:

TWO MORE DAYS!
TWO MORE DAYS!

What irks me is I could've bought a gorgeous pair of stilettos and a hand bag from Nordstrom with the amount of money we've spent at Omar's alone this week...but if it wasn't for him, and his delicious sauces at Rawtopia, I'd be stuck cursing citrus fruit and lettuce wedges (well, cursing them more than I already do).

In case you're just joining us, I am on a week long challenge of eating only RAW-VEGAN-FOOD with a few friends. I've lost a few pounds (apparently it's fluctuating a little bit as I was 139.5 this morning). But it's supposed to be super healthy for you. According to the never-wrong, always perfectly cited Wikipedia:

"Raw vegans believe that foods cooked above [115 degrees] have lost much of their nutritional value and are less healthy or even harmful to the body. Typical foods include fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds and sprouted grains and legumes.[...]Raw vegans can be subdivided into fruitarians, juicearians, or sproutarians. Fruitarians eat primarily or exclusively fruits and nuts. Juicearians process their raw plant foods into juice. Sproutarians adhere to a diet consisting mainly of sprouted seeds."


I feel like I'm a combination of all three. But that quote seems kind of odd to me, because Notting Hill had me believe that a Fruitarian was something a little different:


"Keziah: We believe that fruits and vegetables have feeling so we think cooking is cruel. We only eat things that have actually fallen off a tree or bush - that are, in fact, dead already.
William: Right. Right. Interesting stuff. So, these carrots...
Keziah: Have been murdered, yes.

William: Murdered? Poor carrots. How beastly!"


When I think about how many carrots I've murdered this week, it almost makes me want to give up the whole project and stick to eating non-food items. You know like things created in a lab by food-science doctors with a relentless industrial marketing machine and lobbyists on capital hill that try to tell us we're better off eating a protein-shake with maltodexrin, soy lecithin and 20 other varieties of soy and corn products than say...some spinach?


Or not.


I guess I'll stick to murdering my vegetables for a couple of more days. Crazy to think they're being eaten alive. Well to paraphrase my little sister regarding the raw-food-project: "Hey, it's your fruitneral." Or the carrots funeral, depending on how you look at it.

1 comment:

Cicely said...

K. I thought that I was so clever, but whenever I tell people about how awesome that line was people don't agree. I even got a "wha wha."

Not cool.