Tuesday, December 9, 2008

TFO – Is that txt-speak for TOTALLY FREAKING OUT?

If not, it should be. For those of you NOT ridden with angst, I’ve compiled a list of things that are making my blood pressure rise… as documented at my Midwife appointment yesterday (feel free to skip around to a header that interests you if you don’t have the time to entertain ALL my ramblings… hmm, as if you needed my permission to do so).

The Freaking Snow – I don’t know when I stopped loving the snow. There are pics galore of me as a child playing in it. But I think my distaste mostly happened in college when I had to drive long stretches in it, and someone hit me in it (or I hit them… details are a little fuzzy still from my freshman year). Maybe it was driving from SLC to SGU coming home from THXgiving a few years ago… it took 8 hours for that trip. True, Danny helped me appreciate the white stuff when he got me into skiing again, but I mostly enjoy the “idea” of a ski va-cay. (He says I judge a ski resort by it’s Lodge/food. Is that a problem?) Besides, I’m not super fantastic at skiing, and even when I started getting decent last season from that “Zen Ski and Yoga Camp” last year, my progress has been significantly halted this year by the bun in the oven. (Obviously I’d rather not ski than take a risk with Holden). So my neighborhood looks like a winter wonderland after yesterday’s DUMP, and I mostly think it’s frightful… not so much delightful.

Freaking Technology (mainly that I don’t/won’t have it anymore)…Goodbye Berry – that’s right, I’m turning my CrackBerry back into SkyWest while on this hiatus/break/interregnum (call it what you will… although, I think “interregnum” sounds a little PG-13ish.) I’m swapping out for a cheap mobile phone from days past that I.T. has left over… because let’s face it… I can’t really afford to keep fancy technology around when we’re living on one income. Dreams of an iPhone would take a Christmas miracle… and let’s be honest here people, I’m actually in more of a need for a crib for Holden than a 3G in life…right? (So the only “3G” world I’m living is paying off the $3K’s we spent on Christmas last year! Which brings me to….)

Living on One Freaking Income – (Enter Expletives Here!) It totally sounded possible in theory. But then I actually looked at what the theory’s “numbers” were, and was thinking… hmm, I’m going to have to give up more than facials and designer handbags. Maybe even Aveda shampoo?!?!? (Well, let’s not do anything drastic, just yet.) Yep, kinda freaking out a little bit. At least gas prices are down… so that’ll help a little. I really need to find some writing jobs again on the side, or something to supplement the household income. Don’t get me wrong, Danny’s got a great set up at Zions… and we’re totally thankful for it, and I’m super proud of him for finding and working a grown-up job… but we’ve been spoiled. Soooo, no more shopping sprees, spa days, and we certainly won’t be eating out 5 times or more a week. I might actually have to cook.

• O.M.G. (gosh, obviously). I am going to have to start cooking again?!?! It’s definitely time to start working a little more on those “deep breathing and relaxation techniques.” I am obviously going to need them for more than childbirth.

8 comments:

Melissa: said...

Spring will come, and you really won't miss your phone and you'll be making fabulous (however simple) meals with a baby on your hip, ...and you'll do it all with grace and beauty, no doubt!

Don't Worry! The nice thing about having babies, is that they take up sooo much time, and you are so busy being smitten, that you probably won't notice those other changes much!

Unknown said...

Your blog cracks me up! After you see your sweet baby's face all of those "things" won't matter anymore! Somehow things work out and living on one income isn't so scary! Good luck with the cooking thing, I still haven't mastered that. Happy Holidays!
Lisanne (Berry) Pepper

dave&abby johnson family said...

You are cute my friend! Although I am a little disappointed that you are upset with the snow! It makes everything so beautiful when all the tress and grass are DEAD! Also it makes the skiiers HAPPY!

Oh how I love you!

Erin said...

Oh my friend, I love you so much. I might have laughed a little bit at this entry because it rang so true. Your baby will change so much about your life you can't even wrap your mind around it yet. Everyone would always tell us "You better enjoy these days before the baby comes, because right now you can do anything you want and it's all going to change" but you know what? We found that after Jonah arrived, all we wanted to do was be with him and serve him so we were STILL doing exactly what we wanted, our wants just changed. I'm certain it will be the same for you. Hey, I still need your address- I have a cute baby present to send your way! And a christmas card if I can get my act together. xo

katie said...

I think what we're trying to say is, come on Sabrena, using Suave shampoo isn't so bad...

Spencer Davis said...

No snow in St. George. My blackberry curve is awesome. I love my Aveda shampoo. I'm not pregnant. I'd say my life is way better than yours right now.

Sabrena Suite-Mangum said...

Darth, I am laughing out loud right now... You are such a metro. ;)

Darth, you must be single with no kids tying you down. No wait, you just married up. Please give my best to Al. ;)

WIKKY said...

No need to freak out. You might be living on 5$ Little Ceasars pizza, but it's all good! He will come and life will be GOOD!