Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Mary Mary Quite Contrary, How Does YOUR Garden Grow?

Perhaps I've mentioned Danny's story about when we were first engaged and he told himself (silly man) that he was getting the whole package if only he could wean me from my love of $500 designer hand bags? So I'm pretty much over the Burberry, but I've traded out passions for organic seeds and garden soil. (I am sooooo good at spending money, if only I could get paid to do it!)

So yes, we've been working on making our gardens grow here at the Mangum-Suite-Mangum household. And I will be the first to admit, I cannot believe it is actually working!

A few weeks ago, I took the following pictures:


Our tomato plants have more than doubled in size and are even bigger today!




The lavender garden is working out splendidly.
I shall have my own collection to use for fancy spa cookies!


Here's a closeup Martha Stewart style.


Beet Row.
And please notice the mint in our lawn. I refuse to let Danny 'treat' it;
because I love how it smells when he mows the lawn, it's the one part of our lawn that stays green through the entire summer AND it's a great to have on hand for my spa cookies. :)


Do you know what I love about growing your own lettuce?


When you eat it, it actually tastes like (wait for it....)
LETTUCE!

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I just couldn't get over the fact that I actually grew something that was edible (not just wheat grass!)

Here's a closeup you could put some ranch dressing on... actually, it's too good for ranch.



The roses deserve a post all unto themselves... but I will say it's been heavenly cutting fresh flowers for the house. They are not my doing -- credit goes to my Grandma for the success and hardiness of the roses.


My little sister planted strawberries when they were living here. I added to her collection, but only one of my plants took. Like I said, I took these pictures a few weeks ago, so now those little green berries have long since turned to red and been devoured by the birds. Holden and I finally got to taste one today (so generous of the birds to let us indulge). Delicious!



More updates to come!

3 comments:

Cicely said...

I'm so proud of you. Grandma is too.

3703 said...

Why don't you grow something that tastes good . . . like candy.

WIKKY said...

Awesome garden skills! You are an amazing lady!