Saturday, May 12, 2012

I don't care about Mother's Day

Sounds a bit harsh, eh? Actually, I'm just being hyperbolic (which, oddly enough in my head, I just pronounced hyper-bawl-ic.). But the reason why I am not too concerned with tomorrow, is because as today--as a mother--my day was near perfection. (I'm happy to celebrate my mom and my mother-in-love tomorrow, but let the record show - I'm complete).

Holden and I had a baking day on Friday -- we were out of frozen cinnamon rolls, so this morning we got to nosh on fresh ones with ooey-gooey cream cheese frosting for breaksfast. (I think I've mentioned I make these at least once a month, and then freeze what we're not using and treat them like Rhoades.) With breakfast we had bacon, OJ with lots of pulp (just how I like it), and organic watermelon and strawberries Danny had picked up from our food co-op (Bountiful Baskets this time).

Danny had moved the lawn by the time Zoë woke up for the day at 9:45 (I know, dream baby right?) And we were out the door to Costco just after 10ish (love the WVC locale because even at 11am on a Saturday (after coupon mayhem has begun) it's not crowded... we bought more marigolds for the garden, superhero books for Holden, lots of butter, eggs and white flour (yes, white flour... at least it's milled locally). And a bunch of other things because how often can you really visit Costco without dropping at least $200.

Z fell asleep again in the car on the way home from errands and I spent the day in the kitchen while the boys installed my much anticipated drip-system for our front yard garden-boxes. LOVE LOVE LOVE. Holden loves being outside, and though I know things take longer with him around, Danny was a super sport about it -- and Holden was in heaven "helping" his Dad. (We only suffered a few causalities -- mostly just marigolds.... oh, that could be a cool band name "Mostly Marigold"... not quite riot grrrl, but definitely female infused indie-vibe.

I digress.

I was a maniac in the kitchen. Key Lime pie & Strawberry-Rhubarb crisp for dessert at my sisters tomorrow. Plus, I made just over 10 pints of strawberry freezer jam (I keep saying next time I make jam I'm going to use pectin because it's soooooo much faster, but then I go through this whole debate in my head about using the least amount of preservatives possible... and technically there's already pectin in the fruit... and so I end up cooking my jams for hours trying to let them boil down and gel. Which according to Mark Bittman happens at 224degrees; but my stuff spent over an hour at 200... then I gave up. It's a really rich dark red, almost like Smuckers... next time I'm just using pectin (and not cooking it...I SWEAR).

While Danny finished up the drip system and Zoë laid on a blanket outside practicing her "rolling," Holden and I worked more on his garden.  We gave him another little plot in the back yard... he picked four marigolds and placed them strategically (I've got to get a picture and show you), and then planted chives, squash,and basil. Somehow I read the package wrong on his squash, and where it said seeds inches apart in hills, I thought that meant the hills were four inches apart... instead of the 3 feet!!! So we've got basically a package of seeds in a 1'x1' square of soil. So awesome. I can't wait to see what happens. Last year he did something similar with the Zuchinni and we still got a few good veggies... I'm just loving the process.

In fact, I'm kind of digging the process of this while motherhood thing. So sure, celebrate me tomorrow, but today (the present) is a present indeed.

1 comment:

Melissa: said...

sounds like a most lovely day. Way to live your dreams, Sabrena! I don't know how you do it all, but I think it's inspiring, truly!