Friday, March 14, 2008

Greetings from San Diego (PRAISE FOR GARMIN GPS!!!)

Hello world... I'm writing from the lackluster (seriously NOT 4-diamond award winning) space that is the "Comfort Inn" in Old Town San Diego... although I am a huge fan of the Mexican food I ate last night, the fact that the hotel charges you $9.99 to watch YOUR OWN dvd of Pride and Prejudice is a little lame... (and our phone didn't work, nor our remote... and there's something wegged into the keys of this communal business center computer in the lobby... ick).

I will however, give them kudos for having toothpaste on hand for guests. I never buy those travel ones before hand (always forget); and I don't want to run the risk of "TSA" (thank you, President-Friggin-Bush) trying to confiscate my all natural variety... not worth it. So I usually have to purchase at an airport en route.

Soooo... I'm here for the women in aviation conference; because you know, I'm woman in aviation. Actually, I'm here as a recruiter for our airline -- so my day pretty much consists of standing on my feet for 4-6 hours straight telling people about the beauties of working for an industry where pretty much everyone is underpaid... but you know, if you like the pace, and the insanity... and the travel benefits (if you can ever get on a plane stand-by)... well, it's alright. My pitch is naturally a little different (I smile more.) ;)

The real reason for today's post, is to tell you about my new love... yes, Danny and I are still happily married... but for the longest time I've relied on him (and my father, before him) to be my navigational system (figuratively and literally, actually).

To me, "East" meant anywhere "up the mountain"... which, as you might imagine, created some real problems driving in the Avenues...

Danny was deciding between a Garmin unit for moi for Christmas or the divine Coach patchwork handbag that graces my arm pretty much everywhere I go (whether it matches my outfit or not). Mr. Mangum said, "You really need a GPS" I said, "I have one... you!"

But the Avis rental car guy didn't need to do much convincing on my part that this would be a blessing for only $13 a day to navigate the streets and freeways of "where california was born."

"You could go two miles in the wrong direction and end up across the border in Mexico without a passport..."

Nice scare tactics, I thought. But it totally worked because ANYONE that knows me, knows that numbers and directions are not my forte... they're not even in my vocab. Both completely foreign concepts, like balancing a checkbook or the word "budget." Ew.

Anyway, it was after dark when I arrived to begin my californication on Wed night. It was a long day -- I had started in Salt Lake at 5:20am with a flight to St.George at 7:10....

I spent the day in meetings at our Corporate offices and then hopped on another plane in SG that afternoon bound for LAX (delayed of course).... and once I got to LA; I had to catch (yet) another delayed flight to SAN. I think I finally got to my hotel around 9 and was ready to pass out by that time...

Sooo, driving in the dark with the GARMIN was a complete saving grace. As soon as that tax rebate from good ole' George Dub-ya comes, I am going to totally ge.... well, truth be told, I'm going to finish paying off Christmas; but then I am SERIOUSLY going to look at getting one of these little dandies.

Who needs sattelight radio when I've got a delicious computer telling me "Turn left at Congress Steeet" ... whoops there it went.. "Re-calculating"... "Turn left in 500 feet." Whoops, missed that one too... "Recalculating... Turn..."

Well, you get the idea...

NAMASTE -
Suite

PS. Helene (and anyone else interested) Yes, we are trying to purchase my grandma's house from my mom and her brothers. We're supposed to find out tomorrow if any of the other grandchildren want to make a bid on it... It's actually the space we're living in right now on the East Bench... see, "up the mountain equals "east" ... though we're in the basemetn apt. This way we'd own the whole space... with my parents as partners... and eventually move upstairs and rent the basement when my lil' sis and her husband and son move to Penn. for med school.)

7 comments:

swensen squeeze said...

Suite you will love the GPS - Dan got one for Christmas and loves it! I like the woman speaking in an accent. Hope you are doing well! I finally set up a blog! Check it out if you want. I just started so not so great yet! daswensen.blogspot.com

love ya

Kotter

Kyle, Adrienne and Hayden said...

Suite- I found your blog again!! Hope all is well. Next time you're up a little more north in Cali. you should totally come say hi!!

Gunner

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shauntel said...

Boss, the purchase is absolutely worth it. Maybe not so much of a needed commodity in Utah, as good ol' Brother Brigham squared it all up for us, but out of Utah, Garmin is an invaluable friend. When you've got the pennies, I'd recommend it. And Eric C. has already done the research, so ask him when you're ready. ;) (I too blogged about Garmin. :) )

swensen squeeze said...

Hey - your the one that hasn't aged since high school:) I played volleyball this winter on Tuesday nights but I won't be playing in the fall because Dan and I are still officiating college in the fall so fall is too crazy for us but if I play again next winter - I will for sure call you - I would honestly love playing with you again!

Spencer Davis said...

The only problem that I could think of for you relying on a computer to tell you where to go is that one day it will turn into a Cylon. One day, you'll ask your device to send you to Wild Oats and before you know it, you'll be misdirected to a random parking lot, surrounded by Toasters who are prepping humans for a mass slaughter. Then your dead!!! All because you trusted your computer.

Katie said...

Sabrena, I love your stories. You crack me up. That's great that you're hoping to buy your Grandma's house. What a wonderful location mixed with lots of memories. Ian and I need to come by and see you in your new place!