Friday, December 19, 2008

7th Day of Christmas: 7 Songs for 7 Brides and 7 Brothers

On the 7th Day of Christmas Sabrena gave to me,
SEVEN SONGS a SWIMMING . . . .

Not really... but I did think I would give you a run down of 7 songs to hear before the New Year.


Just Like Christmas by Low – I was first introduced to this song from Chris Higdon of “Elliott” fame… the band (Elliott, though now defunct) played a key role in shaping my musical interests through the later part of the 90s and the beginning years of y2k. As far as Low is concerned, Higdon couldn’t believe I hadn’t heard of them since two of Low’s members “Sparhawk and Parker” are LDS (and practicing members apparently). The song was also featured on “Music From the O.C. Mix 3: Have a Very Merry Chrismukkah” back in 2004. More band info here.

Hallelujah by Rufus Wainright / Leonard Cohen or Jeff Buckley – You can hear a couple of them at NPR’s website by clicking here. Cohen’s version is almost creepy – like I don’t think we’re going to be hearing that version on “Delilah” anytime soon. But kind of a break from the saccharine-sweet pop songs amongst the airwaves today.

12 Days of Christmas/We Wish You a Merry Christmas by John Denver and the Muppets: A standard at the Suites for years (the whole album is worth a listen really). Between this and Chipmunk’s Christmas (checkout “Christmas Time is Here Again” to hear Alvin spouting off about that dang hula-hoop); we had the makings for tree decorating and holiday cheer. When Piggy exclaims her disgust with “Piggy Pudding” in response to Gonzo’s “figgy pudding” cry, it’s only ½ as funny as his retort “Yeah, it’s made with figs – and bacon!” Here's the 12 Days for your viewing pleasure.



It Happened in Sun Valley by Mel Torme: Berfore there was Harry Connick Jr there was Mel. And this delightful version of the theme song from Sun Valley Serenade can be found on his Mel Torme Christmas Songs album. This song is always better if sung with Jazz Hands.

Baby It’s Cold Outside by Dean Martin – Even though I think he sounds like a total sexist in the song, and it’s obvious he's objectifying women and pretty much speaking down to his ‘catch,’ I can’t get enough of this song. It makes me want to dress up in fancy sleek powder blue suits suits with old-school hats and white gloves, heels (maybe even panty hose?) to go to the grocery store and always make sure my lip gloss is freshly applied… well, it makes me think about living that life. And then I stick on yoga pants with a cup of wassil and check out how many friends I have on Facebook. Both lifestyles are gratifying in different ways I guess.

Santa Baby THE Eartha Kitt version. Don’t settle for anything less. You can find it a few different places, but a year or so ago I bought the Louis Armstrong & Friends Album which also includes “Christmas Time in Harlem” which is fun for everyone. One almost forgets she redefined “cougar” with Eddie Murphy in Boomerang back in the 90s.

Technically I’ve given you seven songs already (if you count the Chipmunks bit); but in case you feel cheated, I’ll add ANY version of ‘It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year.” Especially for those of Churchill Junior High Girl’s Choir fame. I think the lyrics went something like this for us:

They’ll be pah-ties for hosting,
mahsh-mallows for toasting and caroling out in the snooooowwwww,
They’ll be scally ghost stolies,
and tales of the glolies of Christmases long long ago…

DROP YOUR JAAAAWWWWWW; and have a vely, melly Christmas…

Bless your heart Ms. Taggart*.



*Sorry to throw and inside joke out there, but for my fellow singers from back in the day… it was too easy.

2 comments:

Cicely said...

I've never seen that muppets version. Thanks for enlightening me.

Cicely said...

What happened yesterday? Don't tell me you have gone into labor too. I'll be pissed.

Love you.