Sunday, December 21, 2008

8th Day of Christmas: A Request for the HomeMakers

On the 8th Day of Christmas, SuiteSpots ASKED from me,
opinions for appetizers or great Holiday recipes…
(skip to the end of the post for details!)


* * *
OK friends, we passed the half-way mark (of the 12 Days from Suite Spots) and I figured I could still make it with the 12th Day actually falling on Christmas(who knows the crazy things I'll be able to blog about then?!?!?!) So thanks for the break yesterday –blogging 7 days straight is exhausting.

I need an appetizer recipe.

Anyway, we're changing things up this year at the (Suite) Mangum home... every year Danny and I spend a THXgiving Day alternating with our two families to be blessed with our presence. And then the other family "gets" us for Christmas Eve. (Christmas Day we kind of just run around and go where the food and the party is at any given time... but we try to keep it to visits to NO MORE than 3 homes... total, between the two sides)

I actually need more than one appetizer recipe.

Anyway, it's a game-plan we actually started during courtship (pre-marriage) and it's worked nicely. The in-laws on both sides don't have false hopes about where we'll be, and we don’t feel guilty for choosing one over the other – the schedule has already identified where we’ll be.

I need a dessert recipe too.

My sisters have kind of adopted a similar deal (to some degree); but Cicely and Cassandra (my sisters) are both living out of state this year… and we spent Thanksgiving with Danny’s family so that means Christmas Eve with my family… which means Danny, moi (and Holden en tote), my parents and Celeste. Just five of us… not Max, Tatum and Miles to help create the Christmas story… we barely have enough for the key players and wise (wo)men…

I need a dessert recipe that doesn’t require eggs.

Christmas Eve tradition -- when we were younger --would mean Christmas-Eve Dinner on my mom’s china, new p.j.’s as our present to open, my Grandpa reading the Christmas story (or reciting it from memory), watching Mickey’s Christmas Carol or the original version and my Dad reading the Polar Express.

Can you send me a recipe?

Cassandra and I would stay up playing Monopoly; and I would lose ridiculously because my only goal would be to get my hands on Boardwalk and Parkplace (even if I had to sell 6 properties for one). I think I’ve adopted a similar philosophy in my current spending habits…but that’s for another day’s discussion.

I would really appreciate it if you would share your Holiday goods.

The point is, Christmas Eve has always been spent at my parents (or if it’s Danny’s fam year, up in Bountiful with 4 generations playing harmonicas and doing talents shows… again, another post, for another day…)

Recipes to share… now that’s the Christmas spirit.

But the thing is, my parents are heading back out the Erie to be with Cicely, Dave, Miles and Fetus Cain (due any day now) on Christmas Day. So Christmas-Eve dinner is not the best idea. So I talked it over with Danny and we suggested hosting Christmas Eve this year… and they ACTUALLY SAID YES! Which I’m so excited about.

Dessert?

So here’s where you come in… my dad bought a ham for dinner, and what goes better with ham than the fat-filled buttery & sour cream goodness of funeral potatoes? My mom’s bringing home made rolls, and wanted to do a salad… so my mom is basically bringing everything anyway… but I need to figure out a side (a vegetable that will work nicely with ham and cheesy potatoes), a dessert and of course two or three appetizers.

Did I mention I need your help?

I’ll break out the Martinelli’s, and I thought Wassil and hot chocolate would be nice for after dinner, but the other pieces are a little fuzzy.

Also, here’s a caveat… my mom is allergic to eggs so NO MAYO or recipes that require egg whites or multiple eggs to work out.

Can you help me out?

You can post your suggestions in the “comments” section or email me directly at ssuitemangum@gmail.com. But we need to act fast! I would like to get the shopping done (AT THE LATELST TUESDAY NIGHT).. but I can still get some things on Wed.

Thanks friends...

3 comments:

Allison said...

Okay I am not sure how pumpkin goes with your meal and all, but I did find an annette friendly pumpkin choc chip cookie that you might already have. But if not here it is: 1 small can of pumpkin, 1 box of spice cake mix, 1 package of choc chips. Mix all together and bake small cookies at 350 for 12-14 mins. I was also thinking this would be great for food storage,no?

Cicely said...

This post made it seem like the holidays in Salt Lake. Thanks for that.

I miss you.

Anonymous said...

I made the following 2 apps for Thanksgiving (both very different and offer a little somet5hing for everyone-plus theyre semi-easy to make and way better than the cheese/craker offering)
1. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Veronicas-Hot-Spinach-Artichoke-and-Chile-Dip/Detail.aspx (You can leave the mayo out)
2. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Annies-Fruit-Salsa-and-Cinnamon-Chips/Detail.aspx
Good luck!
-Nicole