Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mi jardin -OR- For Elwood & Libbie

Do you ever have the feeling like most of your life is a little chaotic and out of control? Or that no matter how many times you dust the electronics, make the bed, or wash your unmentionables, it will all start over again? I mean, I am the first to admit that my house is never thoroughly dusted, and given the choice between folding laundry or baking, I'll take the latter... but have you ever cleaned out a closet, or organized a drawer (or for the corporate types 'cleaned out your inbox?') and suddenly you feel like even though everything else may be (or seem like) a disaster, this one area of organization brings you peace?

That's how I feel about this:


View One


View Two

Years ago, this little spaced flourished as a rose and vegetable garden. My grandparents spent countless hours sowing and nurturing. It was quite a sight to behold. But time takes it toll, and after my grandpa passed away, there was just too much work for my Grandma...

By the time we bought the property (after my Grandma had passed), the white picket fence that used to line the garden had lost a side to a wind storm; and grass and weeds were so overgrown, it was hard to separate where the lawn ended and the 'garden' begun.

So we got some help and filled this:



With this (can you see the pile in the behind Danny?):



Our "helpers" discovered this.. yep, that's rhubarb, hidden in our secret garden!

We brought in this (the soil that is, the kid was already here.)


Danny built me these...





Holden "helps" out and discovers the magical powers of a hose...

And this video is more for our records than for entertainment purposes...


Stay tuned for more adventures from our secret garden....
I think Michael Pollan (and hopefully my grandparents)
would be proud.



This post written in loving memory of Grandpa & Grandma Lambert ("Elwood & Libbie")

4 comments:

Meesh said...

You are so ambitious with your projects, I get inspired. I want to do a veggie garden so badly, because I love fresh veggies. Maybe when you have surplus, I can take some off your hands. Do you know when to do tomato's, is it too early yet, I may get that much done!

Jenn said...

Grandma and Grandpa would be proud! I'm really impressed-- are you available to do that at my house? The grow boxes are awesome... and your pie looks like
Grandma made it herself.

Shy Little Violets said...

I love your composter, i've been begging Jesse to get me one of those, for now i'll just be tilling in my little pot of collected leftovers.

Cicely said...

I don't know, Sabrena. I found that video highly entertaining.